2 half pint jars
- Place 2 half pint mason jars on a rack in a boiling Graniteware water bath canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer 180°F. Set screw bands aside; heat sealing discs in hot water, not boiling 180°F. Keep jars and lids hot until ready to use.
- Wash thoroughly the strawberries, one layer at a time. Measure ¾ cup.
- In a large Graniteware saucepan, stir together prepared fruit, 1/2 tsp of butter to reduce foaming and pectin. Measure sugar; set aside.
- Over high heat, bring mixture to a full rolling boil. Add all of the sugar. Stirring constantly, return mixture to full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; skim off foam, if necessary.
- Ladle hot jam into a hot jar to within 1/4 inch of top of jar. Using Graniteware bubble air remover, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if required, by adding more jam. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining jam.
- When Graniteware water bath canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft, process – boil filled jars – 10 minutes.
- When processing time is complete, turn stove off, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
- After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.
15 in. Covered Oval Roaster. 21 in. Covered Rectangle Roaster.
Get delicious recipes, ideas, and special deals all as easy as opening your email and getting your cook on!